Logical and Critical Thinking Free Online Course by University of Auckland
The University of Auckland is offering free online course on Logical and Critical Thinking. This course is open to anyone with an interest in improving their logical and critical thinking skills. No previous knowledge or experience is required.
In this eight week course, applicants will improve your logical and critical thinking skills in this free online course. Identify common obstacles to effective thinking. This course will start on February 12, 2018.
Course At Glance
Effort: 4 hours/week
Subject: Logical and Critical Thinking
Institution: University of Auckland and Future learn
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course starts on February 12, 2019
The University of Auckland is New Zealand’s leading university and the only one included in the Times Higher Education top 200.
About This Course
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to…
- Explore key concepts in logical and critical thinking
- Apply key concepts in logical and critical thinking
- Identify obstacles to logical and critical thinking
- Identify the components of a good argument
- Produce an argument in standard form
- Classify deductive and non-deductive arguments
- Evaluate arguments based on criteria such as validity, strength and cogency
- Interpret scientific, moral and legal arguments
- Develop an argument “in the wild”
- Assess arguments charitably
Tim Dare is Head of Philosophy at the University of Auckland, New Zealand. He lives on a (very) small farm with his wife Justine and two pet pigs. He is committed to the practical value of philosophy.
Patrick Girard is an originally from Québec, Canada. I completed a PhD in Philosophy at Stanford University in 2008, specializing in Logic, and I am now a senior lecturer at the University of Auckland, New Zealand.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).