Career Management Free Online Course
The University of Glasgow, University of Edinburgh, and University of Sheffield is offering free online course on Career Management for Early Career Academic Researchers. This course is for academic researchers – both postgraduate researchers (PhDs) and early career researchers (post-docs).
In this four week course, applicants will Explore different career options, learn what you want out of a career and understand how to implement good career decisions. This course will start on March 5, 2018.
Course At Glance
Effort: 3 hours/week
Subject: Career Management for Early Career Academic Researchers
Institution: University of Glasgow, University of Edinburgh, University of Sheffield and Future learn
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course starts on March 5, 2018
University of Glasgow
University of Edinburgh
The University of Edinburgh is one of the world’s top universities and is globally recognised for research, innovation and high-quality teaching.
The University of Sheffield is one of the world’s top 100 universities with a reputation for teaching and research excellence.
About This Course
On this course you will answer these questions and more, considering how to manage you career and reflecting on what you want out of a career.
Why Take This Course?
You will be encouraged to consider different career options, both within and outside academic research, and build your confidence in marketing yourself in applications and interviews.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to…
- Develop an awareness of what is important when considering future career development, including reflection on key drivers, skills, interests, personality, and values and how these impact on career choice
- Identify the experience, skills and qualifications that will aid progression in an academic career; assess individual experience; identify gaps in light of what is required for moving on; and consider how to build relevant experience.
- Explore some of the more common career areas researchers enter outside academic research and develop strategies to help generate and research individual career ideas
- Describe how to adapt a CV for different roles and have improved confidence in presenting experience effectively when applying for academic and non-academic jobs
- Discuss what to expect at academic and non-academic interviews, how to prepare effectively for these, and develop an awareness of how to present research experience to different types of employers
This course is for academic researchers – both postgraduate researchers (PhDs) and early career researchers (post-docs).
Dr Sharon Maguire, Careers Consultant at the University of Edinburgh, is the strategic lead on the development of careers support for postgraduate students and research staff at the University.
Katrina has been working in career guidance in Higher Education for the last 16 years. Since 2006 she has worked as the Careers Manager for PGRs and ECRs at the University of Glasgow.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).