Applications are currently ongoing for the Wellesley College MasterCard Foundation Scholarships for African Women at Wellesley College USA. Interested students should see the details below.
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program is a $700 million global initiative to educate and develop next-generation leaders who will contribute to social and economic progress. The Program enables young people from economically disadvantaged communities to complete quality secondary and tertiary education, and make successful transitions to further education or the workforce in their home regions. Over the next 10 years, the Program will select 15,000 Scholars, primarily from Africa, who will be unified by a common philosophy of change and ethical leadership.
At Wellesley College, known worldwide for its academic excellence, we bring a special expertise to this Program: We educate women who will make a difference in the world. As women are poised to take even greater roles as leaders in Africa, we want to offer them the transformative education, mentorship, and support that have empowered Wellesley women for more than 135 years. The MasterCard Foundation is providing funding for a total of nine MasterCard Foundation Scholars at Wellesley over the next few years.
As part of the Scholars Program, Wellesley will provide nine (9) African women with comprehensive support that includes scholarships, mentoring, counselling, and internship opportunities. Scholars at Wellesley will build experiences, values, and competencies that are critical to success in the global economy, and that enable them to give back to their communities and home countries. The students will arrive in groups of three students each year.
Wellesley College USA partners with the MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Program to educate African women.
Who is eligible for the scholarship?
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars selected for the Program are:
- Academically talented: They value learning, and are driven to complete their education.
- Economically disadvantaged: They face significant barriers to accessing education.
- Committed to giving back: They apply what they learn to improve their communities.
- Future leaders: They are committed to embracing ethical leadership to improve the lives of others.
How many scholarship awards are available?
What are the benefits of the scholarship?
- Comprehensive scholarships: Support for tuition, fees, books and supplies, room and meal plan, and more.
- 21st-century skills: Training in skill areas relevant to employment success.
- Transition assistance: Mentoring, career counseling, leadership development, and other life-skills coaching
- Internships and career opportunities: Access to job opportunities across the African continent
- Give-back support: Experiential learning and opportunities for volunteerism and community service
Wellesley College USA
How to Apply for the Wellesley College MasterCard Foundation Scholarships:
Please Note: Even if you are not awarded this scholarship, Wellesley is committed to meeting 100% of demonstrated need for all admitted international citizens who have applied for financial aid during the admission process. Its purpose is to support highly qualified candidates who could not otherwise attend Wellesley.
All applicants to Wellesley, who apply for financial aid and meet the criteria for the MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Program, will be considered for the Scholarship. You do not need to complete additional forms or take additional steps at this time.
Finalist candidates for the Scholarship will be contacted by the Admission Office (after they submit their applications to Wellesley) and asked to conduct a Skype interview.
1st November 2018 (an early decision I), 1st January 2019 (early decision II), 15th December 2018 (Regular Decision)